Monday 23 April 2012

The Cover Wars: The Book Thief


Tara of Basically Books and I decided to get together to do a weekly meme where we would compare covers of the UK editions of books with those of the US editions.

The aim of this is to just have a bit of fun. We put ourselves in the position where we see both of these books side by side in the bookstore. Which would we choose? Why that one and not the other?

This week we will be comparing the covers of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

        
US Cover                                                UK Cover

Rea says: This is another case where I have a clear favourite. I do like the imagery of the US cover with the dominoes that are all about to set off a chain reaction. But it just doesn’t hold a candle to the UK cover art. That image of Liesel dancing with Death is one my favourite cover images ever. It is so very poignant and expresses so much in so very little. UK all the way.

Tara says: This is so easy for me. The US one is good, but boring and doesn’t really capture my attention. The UK one is amazing, I love the fact the cover is all crumpled up and old fashioned to go with the fact this story is set during World War 2. UK has won for me. 


Score:

Week 14:     US: 2     UK: 7     Draw: 4

Do you want to join in too? Here’s how:
Step 1: Copy and paste the Cover Wars image.
Step 2: Copy and paste our intro or write your own but it must link back to both of our blogs.
Step 3: Copy and paste the US and UK cover images.
Step 4: Compare the two.
Step 5: Either use our score or keep your own score.
Step 6: Post it and share it!
Thanks and have fun!


2 comments:

  1. I agree. The UK cover is eerily beautiful, whereas the US cover is kind of Arty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jade Jade, do you have a link to your blog so I can return the comment favour? :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).